viernes, 30 de noviembre de 2012

2º Bachillerato: Wish/ if only activities


2nd Part: Wish/If only
WISHES AND RELATED FORMS  
EXPLANATIONS Key points: 
1. Wishes about the present use a past tense form, and wishes about the
past use a past perfect form
 2. Wishes with would refer either to annoying habits or to something we
would like to happen.
 3. Past tense forms are used after It’s time and I’d rather to show a real
situation.
   It’s time we left.
 4. I hope....can be used in a similar way to I wish….But I hope is used  only for wishes that are actually  possible, and it usually has a good meaning.
            I hope you have a good time.
            There’s a lot to see. I hope you won’t be late.

Wish cannot be used in this way.
I hope…..can be used with the infinitive.
             I hope to see you next week.

But I wish with the infinitive has a different meaning. It is a formal way of saying I’d like to (or I want to)
              I wish to interview you for the job next week.

Note also these expressions:
              I wish you luck/success in your new job.
             We wish you a happy New Year
Exercises
1 Underline the most suitable verb form un each sentence.
a) I wish Peter doesn’t live/didn’t live/wouldn’t live so far way from the town centre. We’ll have to take a taxi.
b) I feel rather cold. I wish I brought/had brought my pullover with me.
c) What a pity. I wish we don’t have to/didn’t have to/wouldn’t have to leave.
d) I wish you tell/told/had told me about the test. I haven’t done any revision.
e) I wish the people next door hadn’t made/wouldn’t make/couldn’t make so much noise. I can’t hear myself think!
f) Darling, I love you so much! I wish we are/had been/would be/could be together always!
g) I’m sorry I missed your birthday party. I really wish I come/came/had come/would come.
h) I like my new boss but I wish she gave/would give/could give me some more responsibility. (?)
i) Having a lovely time in Brighton. I wish you are/were/had been here.
j) This car was a complete waste of money. I wish I didn’t buy/hadn’t bought it.

3 Underline the most suitable verb form im each sentence.
a) A cheque is all right, but I’d rather you pay/paid me cash.
b) Imagine you live/lived in New York. How would you feel?
c) If only I have/had/would have a screwdriver with me.
d) If you want to catch the last train, it’s time you leave/left.
e) I’d rather you don’t/didn’t tell anyone about our conversation.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario